Tuesday 1 May 2012

ACCOUNTABILITY


Life gets in the way but don't bury your head in the sand.

If only I had nothing to distract me – if only I could spend each day writing to my heart’s content. The truth is I've got a full-time job, a family and all the other stuff that is real life. Not writing isn’t an option, so I schedule my time. After years of struggling to ‘fit it all in’, I’ve finally got a plan that works for me. How do I do it?

I write a list each week, 'A Goal List' and I  schedule what I’m going to do for the next seven days. Not just my writing life, I also plan in other things that make me happy. Stuff I want to fit into my every day. That is the key, fitting it into your everyday life. Making an appointment with yourself to do these things. If its writing that dreaded synopsis, producing a first draft or eating cake and drinking tea from China cups in some quaint tea-room. Multi-tasking and combining one or two of them can work.

Planning is essential, which is why I’m writing a list each week. It quantifies what I need to do; it’s my own unique road map on which I travel each week. My personalised ‘Goal’ list. Yes, I do tick things off, in my notebook. The writer’s notebook. You all have one of these? You do, I know you carry one about with you, so you can jot down ideas before they're forgotten.

The notebook makes me accountable; however, putting my intentions on my blog each week, makes me far more accountable. Let me say straightaway, I don’t always achieve all of my goals each week, sometimes things happen, or I’ve given myself too much to do, and that’s a different blog post altogether. Mostly though, I’ve given myself achievable targets.

Here’s another idea, what about an accountability partner? Another writer can help you reach your writing goals. You can help each other, by checking in via email, phone call or perhaps a weekly meeting over a cup of tea, or a glass of wine! That's the fun bit.

However you choose to make yourself accountable, one thing’s for sure, you’ll get more done, and you’ll meet your deadlines and goals far quicker. What do you think? Could a plan like this work for you?

Please leave me a comment here on the blog with your ideas.



Maria (Member of Phoenix Writers Group) 

Blogs at http://firstdraftcafe.blogspot.co.uk/

Tweets here @mariaAsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment